Thursday, March 15, 2012

Not how I like to wake up.

I was up late last night. I watched TV until I finally fell asleep around 1:30 in the morning. I had a blissful three hours of sleep, or so, when for no apparent reason, my cat went all ninja on my right foot. I guess the lump under the blanket looked particularly menacing, or something. I can't explain cats, but I know for sure his ninja assassin skills are up to snuff. Thank the heavens I managed to get back to sleep for an hour or so.

When I did finally wake up for the day, I put on my little slipper socks. The tile floor in my room is cold, even in summer, so I often put them on before I get out of bed. Today, though, I yelped in pain. The little bugger managed to draw blood, and I have several large gashes in the inside instep of my right foot. Shoes haven't been fun today.

Unfortunately, I've had to wear shoes. I couldn't get away with barefootedness. I had to go to a training meeting for Lulu's chorus and girl scout troop. Both groups are manning a concession stand at the local minor league baseball stadium this season. We're working 81 games. I think I could cry. Luckily, we have about 15 parents who took the training course, and we each only need to work about 10 games. It's a huge lot of work, but it will raise a ton of money, way more than they make from Girl Scout cookies. Anything we can do to help our girls meet their goals, and then exceed them, I'm willing to do. Plus, hey, free baseball games!

I managed to get about 15 pages in book 2 edited today, despite feeling like a headless chicken in a lot of other ways. I got another very encouraging request for pages yesterday, and I've gone into that tailspin of research and paranoia that accompanies submissions. I tend to obsess when an agent expresses an interest in my writing. I guess that's to be expected. We all like validation that something we've done is worthy of further perusal. This kind of thing also comes with a lot of palpitations, nervous twitches, and obsessive email checking. None of these things are particularly healthy. I try to avoid them at all costs, but sometimes I can't help myself.

I still take breaks from editing, and I still check Twitter. When I see the delightful agent who wanted to read more of my story, I feel compelled to see what she has to say, and the obsess over whether it might give me some insight into whether or not she'll like or hate my story. Like I said, not particularly healthy.

So here I am writing this, hoping to avoid checking anything for the next few minutes, at least. After this, I think I'm going to watch something on TV, far from the computer. Maybe I'll leave my cell phone in another room, too.

I'm sure this won't take too long. I'll be all better as soon as I hear back, either way. Granted, I'll be better sooner if I get a positive response than a negative one. Again, human nature.

That three hours of sleep is starting to catch up with me. I think I'll just skip to the tv watching and vegetating right now.

Good night!

1 comment:

  1. This made me smile, because now I feel like I am perfectly normal.

    I have a ninja cat, too. However, he is so big now that he has cat man-boobs, so he had given up pouncing, for the most part...thought he will claw you with one toe when you walk past if the urge strikes.

    Try not to obsess TOO much. And here is to a positive response...quickly!


Tell me all about it: