Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I wanted to write today, but...

I got sucked into the whole Big 6 publishing/Amazon/Apple/DOJ controversy, and I followed it online all day. Sure, I didn't get a lot of writing done, but now that the business day is technically over, I'm getting back to writing.

Let me say, as a writer who hopes to be published someday, the lack of understanding of the publishing industry by the Department of Justice seems mind-boggling. It's a little worrisome for someone who has yet to break into the professional writing world, thinking this controversy will make it that much harder to make a living as a writer.


Since I'm not a publishing professional, I'll defer further commentary to those who understand the issues better than I do. I'll just reiterate that I'm a nervous writer today.

I'll be writing more this evening, though, so it hasn't been a wasted day. Yesterday almost felt wasted. I only got about a thousand new words on book 3, which still doesn't have a proper title. My cover page has a big blank space with the words, "Thalia Drake Book III" under where the title should be. My LEAST favorite part of writing is making up titles. I'd rather write synopses all day long than try to come up with a clever, catchy, memorable title.

So far, I have Dragon Hunter (book 1, and I wish I could come up with something better, but this seems to fit best), and Devil May Care (book 2, but I still don't like it). I'll leave it up to my currently theoretical future agent/editor/publisher to adjust the titles to their liking. I apparently stink at that. ;)

Now that I'm actively writing again, rather than mired in interminable revisions, I'm resuming the Progress-o-Meter:

Words: 13,761
Pages: 47

3 comments:

  1. Hey Laura,

    I've been seeing your comments on Janet Reid's blog, so I decided to pop by. I must've missed the Big 6/DOJ controversy, because I have no idea what that is. Which is a little embarassing, considering I'm an attorney. LOL. I guess I better go Google it after I write this comment. ;)

    So interesting that titles are the most difficult thing for you. I'm always surprised at how different the responses are when authors describe their least favorite parts of the writing process. Personally, I hate synopsis writing. Trying to summarize my novel into something that doesn't sound like a bland 6th grade report is soooo hard.

    Good luck in the Pay It Forward contest!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness I'm not the only one scouring the headlines in search of distraction! I enjoyed your post--and your tweets (thanks, Erin!). Keep your entertaining distractions comin'! Cheers, Monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Erin and Monica!

    I'll just say I don't mind doing a synopsis. It's not my favorite thing, but it helps me finalize the storyline. I'm a "pantser", so the synopsis becomes my working outline after the first few drafts. And it does read about as bad as a 6th grade report. It's not there for excitement, but to detail plot points and characters. My synopses aren't conversational, but informational.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me all about it: