Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Gut Guy and Distraction

I have been meaning to post a new post, but I have been busy with ALL OF THE THINGS. Back to school week is always the worst. It's the only time the PARENTS get homework. Every teacher my daughter has sends home a letter explaining their class procedures and goals, along with an agreement that has to be signed by the kid and the parent stating that we read through all the material and understand it. She has six teachers. Not to mention writing checks for her school planner, her drama class script fee, signing up to receive blog info and TEXT MESSAGE HOMEWORK ALERTS! Yes. We get text messages with her homework assignments now. So why did they make us pay $5 for the planner book?

Speaking of the planner, every year it has a snazzy lenticular cover. This year's cover is really creepy. From one view, you see this:





And if you tilt it ever so slightly, it turns into this:




We now refer to him as "Gut Guy." Ewww.

Needless to say, I've been busy the last few days. Even with all the extra time while Lulu is at school, I still haven't managed to get back on the editing train. I opened the file, at least. I stared at it for a few minutes today. And then I remembered my sad, lonely blog. And several phone calls I have to make. But blog first.

I don't really have any real writerly update for y'all. Just Gut Guy. Maybe something writerly will happen this evening? One can only hope so.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, your school does texts too? My son's school implemented them last year; they go something like this: "Can I remind you that this Friday is coffee morning. Please come along." Yet they still forget to inform you, until the day before, that there's a no uniform day and you need to bring in [random} item for your child to go without uniform. *rollseyes *

    Hope your daughter has a good first week back, and you get back into the swing of things soon, so that you can resume editing. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Editing begins this afternoon! Wheee! And the texts are only from her math teacher. So far, there's only been one. Hopefully they'll be more useful than your son's!

      Delete
  2. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeew gut guy! What the fuck? I've been slacking lately too, unable to write anything until I hear back from a certain someone next week:(

    Get to work! *pimpslaps* Make me those words! Get me that word count!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now I'm trying to get you Devil May Care. I'm diving into the edits right... now!

      Delete
  3. Ooooh...I wish we had text message updates at my school. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three cheers for Gut Guy! Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray! Hip hip--actually, you can't see his hips. (Thank goodness.)

    Let me start over... Hooray for editing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Start of year is usually chaotic, however hard people try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but things are calming down now. The routine of it all is settling in, and it's starting to feel normal. It's all about what you're used to. And I'm used to the weird schedule now. :)

      Delete
  6. Gut Guy is a wee bit disconcerting.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me all about it: